of youth, long murky middle-age and final hours
    long in the tooth, he is the hundred names of terror ---
    creature you love the least. Picture his name before
    you and exorcise the beast.

He roved up and down through history --- spectre
    with tales to tell. In the darkness when the
    campfire's dead --- to each his private hell. If you look
    behind your shoulder as you feel his eyes to feast, you
    can witness now the everchanging nature of the beast.
    Beastie

If you wear a warmer sporran, you can keep the foe at
    bay. You can pop those pills and visit some
    psychiatrist who'll say --- There's nothing I can do
    for you, everywhere's a danger zone. I'd love to help
    get rid of it, but I've got one of my own.

There's a beast upon my shoulder and a fiend upon
    my back. Feel his burning breath a heaving, smoke
    oozing from his stack. And he moves beneath the
    covers or he lies below the bed. He's the beast upon
    your shoulder. He's the price upon your head. He's
    the lonely fear of dying, and for some, of living too.
    He's your private nightmare pricking. He'd just love
    to turn the screw. So stand as one defiant --- yes, and
    let your voices swell. Stare that beastie in the face
    and really give him hell.

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=2032

_

"I see a dark sail on the horizon set under a black cloud that hides the sun.
    Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding."

...Good but non-essential.. :170:

Inventor of the "Turkish Building Technique"

Game Ratings:
    First time total population beyond 3Mio frontier:3 045 259
    Current Game: P2_Herz andP2_Kanoneof course..

Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt.
    Lost are only those, who abandon themselves.

• Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com essential recording

December holds the distinction of single-handedly putting Windham Hill on the map and being the new age album most likely to find its way into music collections of all ilk. In spite of being relentlessly overplayed during the holidays, the solo piano recording has aged quite well. Winston shapes holiday war-horses and original compositions into a captivating contemporary statement. His spare, understated style captures the feel of the dark season, employing ample resonance to evoke a reflective spaciousness. The album's straightforward simplicity conveys both the celebration and quietude that characterize the best of the Yuletide spirit. --Richard Price

Zitat

The great thing about this album, for me, is I never get tired of it. I have listened to these songs for the last 18 years and they always sound as if I am listening to them for the first time. The CD has a winter feel to it; quiet, peaceful, soothing, melodic, and clear. There is an inclusion of classical favorites such as Bach's "Joy," the traditional version of "Jesus, Jesus Rest Your Head," and the traditional version of "Carol of the Bells," etc.

The music itself is very graceful and well defined. It is great music to have in the background when you read or study. I guess that is why I have enjoyed this music for so long. Actually, this CD also works well for the Christmas season or for listening all year round. George Winston is a wonderful piano player. His playing is filled with careful touch, strong emotional texture, and a style that grows on you every time you listen. I believe this is his best work produced, I highly recommend it, especially if you love classical, piano, and instrumental music.

US-born pianist George Winston describes his compositions as 'rural folk piano', although his nature-inspired work has seen him described as a pioneer of new age music.

Biography and Discography

MoS

Game Ratings:

• The most beautiful sound next to silence

"
    The title for this review was taken from ECM itself because this album is a pure expression of the genre. This was the first ECM album I ever purchased 25 years ago and still my favourite. The music is not to be listened to as background but something that can be truly appreciated through active listening. It is very slow and seemingly mournful but the minimalism lifts it out of that place so it becomes a counterpoint to the underling tone. Weber's alternate bowing and picking of his cello as well as running it through s synthesizer creates a senses of twilight with each note loaded with intensity of expression that floats above the soft brushed percussion intersected with occasional deep bass. Jan Garbarek's ice cold soprano saxophone deepens the sense of space with the same concentration. Each track flows into the next and the order is important. This music could be described as somewhere between ambient and jazz but the cold introverted passion makes it something else.

"

Eberhard Weber at amazon.com

MoS

Game Ratings: