security issues

• I just was notified that someone, or more than one, had hacked into our wireless service and used our service to access web sites, make purchases etc. The hacker(s) were not able to get my personal information since the wireless portal is fed from a hard firewall where settings can only be changed via direct cable link. The server sits behind the firewall and none of the remotely linked PC's are sharing anything.

Apparently this has been going on for almost a year without us being aware of it. It came about when we got a government agency contact us about our use of the internet. Without going into details, the hackers obviously visited site which was of concern to the agency.

I don't know how the laws are in the US, but in Canada it is legal to track your internet use and if you use sites of certain content you will be contacted. What got us off the hook right away is the fact that all of our computers access the web through an annonymizer portal that displays a bogus IP address. Such programs are now widely used and I can only recommend them to everybody.

Encryption of wireless servers does not work, as this incident proves.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
    Wer niemals einen Fehler gemacht hat, hat noch nie etwas neues probiert Albert Einstein